My last post was about how as women we've been taught to make ourselves small and invisible in the world. This post is about how to stop hiding and take up as much space as you fucking well please. There are many ways to take up space in a patriarchal society. Here are some suggestions:
- When on a first date, don't take tiny bites of your undressed salad. Instead, eat the food you want to eat and in the portion sizes you desire. Eat as if you were hanging with your girlfriends at a slumber party. If your date comments on your appetite, ask if they're going to finish that last bite of steak, and then pluck it off their plate, and into your mouth. Don't forget to flash a huge smile before asking for the dessert menu!
3. Don't try to hide your intelligence because your worried people will call you a show off. If others can't handle it, it's because they're insecure. Or stupid. And really, who needs stupid friends?
4..Sit on the train, plane, or bus with multiple bags and take up lots of seats. Only make space for another woman or an elderly person who needs to sit down.
5. Wear whatever the fuck you want. Fuck flattering. You're gorgeous and a role model for others.
6. Stop dieting. Stop thinking about dieting. Eat what feels good to you and your body. If that means you eat ice cream every night, then so be it!
7.. Don't tolerate sexual harassment. The next time you get cat called, shout "heel! good boy" at the offending fool.
8.. Encourage your daughters, nieces, and all the young girls in your life to focus on their own interests. Tell them to raise their hands during class and to run for student government. Never scold them with "that's not ladylike." Teach the boys in your life to respect girls and women and to make space, not always take space.
9. Revel in your feminine power. Women bring balance into the world. Tap into your inner goddess.
10. Say what's on your mind, even if it's hard. Let others be uncomfortable for once. Besides, passive aggression is for douche bags.
- Love yourself without measure!
What are some other ways that you like to take up space? Leave your suggestions in the comments.